Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper Torsion bar install and adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ri914
Hello 914'ers

I need to adjust and calibrate my front suspension. I installed the new torsion bars while the car was on the lift and it now looks like it could chase a ford raptor through the woods.

1: Is there a procedure for installing these and what angle the a-arm should be at?

2: Should they be done at ride height and then adjusted by the torsion bar adjustment bolt ?

Click to view attachment

thank you
ben
brant
Index them to get the range of ride height you want

Then fine tune on corner balance scales
914Sixer
Bars have to be indexed before installation. Most repair manuals should cover this. Adjusters are just used for minor up or down of 10-20 mm.
jim_hoyland
How does the indexing go if the caris up on the lift ?
rhodyguy
Look at the camber of the rear wheel. Roll your car back and forth a bit to settle the suspension.
mlindner
Ri914, your pictures shows how far off it is. With car weight on suspension that front A-arm should be horizontal as a good start point. If you have purchased stiffer bars you might need to index them on the lift raising the front suspension with like a transmission jack before torsion bar is set. Mark
ri914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Sep 20 2020, 03:52 PM) *

Ri914, your pictures shows how far off it is. With car weight on suspension that front A-arm should be horizontal as a good start point. If you have purchased stiffer bars you might need to index them on the lift raising the front suspension with like a transmission jack before torsion bar is set. Mark

Great info everyone!

Mark. Thanks for the explanation. I knew they had to be way off. Fingers crossed I don't have to roll the fenders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.