Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel pump relocation 2 questions...
Wyvern
post Jul 5 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,245
Region Association: Northern California

I am going to relive and change to a 2 port.
Found lost of good info here.

1. I can’t seem to find a late blister. Why couldn’t I just use a flat plate?

2. Am I correct in thinking other than cutting a door hatch and using the blister )or my home made door) that the fuel hose on this set up would be shorter and more protected than hanging the pump near the steering rack? The hose going out of the tank area then need to go back through just seems less desirable.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jul 5 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Got mine from Bruce Stone @bdstone914 a few years back. You might want to contact him. Good luck with your search.

As for the flat panel idea, it would probably depend what kind of mounting you will use and if your car has a front sway bar.

This is a picture from 914world and it also nicely shows the square filter and it's bracket. I think this filter with the tabs is difficult to find. I was considering removing the filter bracket in the back of the car and welding it in the stock 75 location.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jul 5 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 5 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Got mine from Bruce Stone @bdstone914 a few years back. You might want to contact him. Good luck with your search.

As for the flat panel idea, it would probably depend what kind of mounting you will use and if your car has a front sway bar.

This is a picture from 914world and it also nicely shows the square filter and it's bracket. I think this filter with the tabs is difficult to find. I was considering removing the filter bracket in the back of the car and welding it in the stock 75 location.

Attached Image

Thanks for that photo . the cover needs the blister because room is minimal ans I have a sway bar ...
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Jul 5 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Wyvern @ Jul 5 2020, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 5 2020, 06:12 PM) *

Attached Image

Thanks for that photo . the cover needs the blister because room is minimal ans I have a sway bar ...

Maybe someone would want to make and sell this (relatively) simple piece of sheetmetal?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jul 6 2020, 05:14 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mounted mine up front, easy access to filter and inline fuse. MarkAttached Image
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jul 6 2020, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

With that style of pump and filter, you can mount them underneath the tank next to the steering rack. Use rubber standoffs to cut down on any vibration and noise in the cabin. No fuel smell in the front trunk and any leak would drip down onto the ground.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 6 2020, 10:42 AM
Post #7

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 6 2020, 06:14 AM) *

Mounted mine up front, easy access to filter and inline fuse. MarkAttached Image

Copper line is not good in a fuel system. Copper will work harden with vibration, and eventually crack and leak.

Plus, some gasoline mixes will erode the inside of the copper tube and put crap into the fuel.

+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jul 6 2020, 10:55 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,770

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2020, 11:42 AM) *

Copper line is not good in a fuel system. Copper will work harden with vibration, and eventually crack and leak.

Plus, some gasoline mixes will erode the inside of the copper tube and put crap into the fuel.

Thanks Clay, its not copper just has that look. This car will be used for mostly track events, so leaks or smell up front not a problem.
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jul 20 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #9

So the adventure continues. I purchased the relocation kit from AA and a 2 port pump.
Haven't decided on under the tank or at the steering rack location yet.
I have the lines done where the old pump was. so the "Y" is gone & wire run.

Issue is that the inlet on the supplied filter is 7mm (needs be 9mm) and the outlet from the pump is again 7mm (needs to be 9)
To do this right I would need two 7 to 9 adapters. Not loving that, as I want as few connections as possible.

Is that what you folks are doing?
Who has the adapters I need?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 20 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

My advice is to mount it below and above the air diverter on the passenger fire wall. Much easier installation and easier to access. There are several threads on this going several if not more years ago.

I know Porsche changed the location to the front under the steering raxk on the late cars but I wouldn.t.locate the pump there unless you are going to replace the fuel lines in the tunnel. There are a lot more reasons in my mind to not to move it to the front but if you are planning on moving it there....plan on replacing the lines as well for one really good reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Edit:

See someone commented on that already....oh yea....don.t use copper...fuel corosion is only one reason not to use it.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jul 20 2020, 09:55 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 20 2020, 07:15 PM) *

My advice is to mount it below and above the air diverter on the passenger fire wall. Much easier installation and easier to access. There are several threads on this going several if not more years ago.

I know Porsche changed the location to the front under the steering raxk on the late cars but I wouldn.t.locate the pump there unless you are going to replace the fuel lines in the tunnel. There are a lot more reasons in my mind to not to move it to the front but if you are planning on moving it there....plan on replacing the lines as well for one really good reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Edit:

See someone commented on that already....oh yea....don.t use copper...fuel corosion is only one reason not to use it.

Good luck.

Thank you . tunnel lines done .
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 20 2020, 10:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mlindner @ Jul 6 2020, 04:14 AM) *

Well done ............ Mines in the same place. Love the cover.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 20 2020, 10:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 7 2020, 04:42 AM) *

Copper has no use in our cars but I think the pic is showing plated large diameter brake line which is plated that colour…..just saying or maybe copper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jul 20 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #14

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 20 2020, 09:15 PM) *

Edit:

Good luck.

I’m trying to learn (and decide) . . . what are the reasons not to relocate the fuel pump to the front? I’ve heard it said that a fuel pump should “pump not suck” and there’s the (recent) fire issue . . . yet I’d rather not cut any holes. . .
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Jul 20 2020, 11:10 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,948

Brian,
I got my relocation kit from Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. I am sure you can order just the bits that you need
Chris
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jul 21 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Jul 20 2020, 10:10 PM) *

Brian,
I got my relocation kit from Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. I am sure you can order just the bits that you need
Chris

Hi Chris ... Yup ordered what I need . Thanks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:11 PM