Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front shocks shot?
gturner008
post Jul 5 2020, 04:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,163
Region Association: Canada

Now my newly acquired 76 2.0 is legally back on the road, and being unfamiliar with how 914’s drive, I’m thinking my front struts/dampers are not working as they should.

I drive over a pot hole or man hole cover and I get quite a bit of shudder. Don’t think this is quite right.

Do you think I should now replace the shock inserts? 39k miles, 44 years old.

Easy DIY job? Any advice or recommendations?

Cheers. Gary
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 5 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(gturner008 @ Jul 5 2020, 06:19 PM) *

Now my newly acquired 76 2.0 is legally back on the road, and being unfamiliar with how 914’s drive, I’m thinking my front struts/dampers are not working as they should.

I drive over a pot hole or man hole cover and I get quite a bit of shudder. Don’t think this is quite right.

Do you think I should now replace the shock inserts? 39k miles, 44 years old.

Easy DIY job? Any advice or recommendations?

Cheers. Gary

Not sure what shudder means to you.

Shudder typically is a fore/aft or right/left oscillation. That typically wouldn't be associated with dampers which function in an up/down motion.

Bad dampers result in "bounce" or "pitch" motions that continue after encountering a bump.

You don't mention if the sensation is occuring in the front wheels or the rear.

Bottom line replacment of strut inserts and rear dampers is straightforward task for those with DIY incinations and the proper tools.

Dampers should not be worn out with 39K miles but seals do harden with age and if you've lost fluid (are dampers wet and oily?) that is a sure sign that it is time to replace them.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 5 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would replace. They don’t get better with time. It takes about an hour. Use a impact gun for the top nut and a pipe wrench for the nut that holds the strut insert in the housing, pull the insert out without removing the strut from the a arm and then use a jack under the a arm to lift the strut back into the top mount. Easy peasy.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:14 AM