Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ‘76 Bumpers/can you Identify/anyone want them? - free, What are these ones called?
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 4 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,031
Region Association: Southern California

Hello!
Trying to get down to metal this summer. The bumpers are off and I wanted to know what these ones are called. Having hard time finding info online. Especially for the front bumper.
Just curious. The plan is to back date.
Also I want to see if I can find a new home for these bumpers. Is there anyone out there that needs 1976 bumpers?. You can have them for free. Or at least barter with some advice for this ongoing project. I’m not sure if these are able to be shipped because I could barely pick them up.
Also I won’t be meeting this drip pan for this car anymore.
Here are some photographs:
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

Frances
and Daniel

Thanks for all your advice yes holding onto the rain tray and searching for a dumpster big enough for these bumpers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jun 5 2020, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

That front bumper is definitely not stock. Someone did some unique custom work in the past.

Years ago, in the 80's, in Frankfurt, Germany, I remember seeing a red 75-76 914 with the rubber bumpers painted red. Weird. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jun 5 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Great news that your backdating. Best mod you can do to a 75-76 other then going six.
Throw those things in the dumpster...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jun 5 2020, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

@TINKERGINEERING

Even though you're going electric, I would suggest holding on to that rain tray / drip pan. It does help keep water out of the engine bay and by extension, the areas underneath what was the stock battery tray, where water tends to collect. The holes you see at the corners had funnels below them to act as a sort of gutter to channel water through the engine bay and under he car.

As for the bumpers, I'de ditch them. I think the front bumper was someones 'backyard project'.

I'm following you on instagram under the username 'riquemar' and look forward to your posts. Keep at it!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 5 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I’m all for keeping the parts for our cars but in this case, toss the bumpers, they are worthless.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 5 2020, 05:25 PM
Post #6

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Unless you are going to seal the engine lid somehow I would keep the rain tray to keep water & sun off the electronics.

The front "aero" bumper is hand made.

The rear bumper is made of some burly steel and it's flat. I'd keep it in case you need to build a frame or support or ???

I'd also think about fiberglass bumpers. A bit cheaper and without the rubber top is noticeably lighter.
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 6 2020, 05:26 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(maf914 @ Jun 5 2020, 08:16 AM) *

That front bumper is definitely not stock. Someone did some unique custom work in the past.

Years ago, in the 80's, in Frankfurt, Germany, I remember seeing a red 75-76 914 with the rubber bumpers painted red. Weird. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Oh interesting. Yes lots of paint cracking off the rubber bumper.
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 6 2020, 05:27 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 5 2020, 04:25 PM) *

Unless you are going to seal the engine lid somehow I would keep the rain tray to keep water & sun off the electronics.

The front "aero" bumper is hand made.

The rear bumper is made of some burly steel and it's flat. I'd keep it in case you need to build a frame or support or ???

I'd also think about fiberglass bumpers. A bit cheaper and without the rubber top is noticeably lighter.

Lighter might be better with all the batteries! Good idea I’ll hold the water tray
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 6 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 5 2020, 03:25 PM) *

I’m all for keeping the parts for our cars but in this case, toss the bumpers, they are worthless.

The front didn’t fit well and was also barely held on!!
And taking up lots of share tree tent shelf space (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 6 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Coondog @ Jun 5 2020, 08:22 AM) *

Great news that your backdating. Best mod you can do to a 75-76 other then going six.
Throw those things in the dumpster...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ha okay yes dumpster is next (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 6 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 5 2020, 03:18 PM) *

@TINKERGINEERING

Even though you're going electric, I would suggest holding on to that rain tray / drip pan. It does help keep water out of the engine bay and by extension, the areas underneath what was the stock battery tray, where water tends to collect. The holes you see at the corners had funnels below them to act as a sort of gutter to channel water through the engine bay and under he car.

As for the bumpers, I'de ditch them. I think the front bumper was someones 'backyard project'.

I'm following you on instagram under the username 'riquemar' and look forward to your posts. Keep at it!

Hello!! Thanks for the Follow! Thanks for your advice today as well!! Such a great community everyone is so willing to share their experiences. Yes this front bumper barely fit securely and is probably 100 pounds. Sure I wouldn’t be able to put it inside of a dumpster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks!!!
+Quote Post
bretth
post Jun 6 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello,

I would actually take the two bumperettes on the rear bumper if you are able to get them off with out breaking the mounting studs. Let me know and I will pay shipping etc.

Thanks,
Brett
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 6 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(bretth @ Jun 6 2020, 05:01 PM) *

Hello,

I would actually take the two bumperettes on the rear bumper if you are able to get them off with out breaking the mounting studs. Let me know and I will pay shipping etc.

Thanks,
Brett

You were right!
They unbolt. My Dad and I just looked. (Daniel)He says hi! And they are all yours!
Send an address at some point next week. We’d love to ship the bumper too. Where TX? Near Austin?
Frances (and daniel)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 7 2020, 06:34 AM
Post #14

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Hello Tinkergineering - I have been watching your videos- love them. I am so glad to see a young person loving on a 914.

As for the bumpers.........toss them please. I think you will be very happy when you install the backdated (early) bumpers. I believe the cars look way better and of course it takes a lot of weight off at the extreme front and rear too. Congratulations on all you have done thus far. Be patient, have a plan and stick to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Michael
+Quote Post
TINKERGINEERING
post Jun 7 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 7 2020, 05:34 AM) *

Hello Tinkergineering - I have been watching your videos- love them. I am so glad to see a young person loving on a 914.

As for the bumpers.........toss them please. I think you will be very happy when you install the backdated (early) bumpers. I believe the cars look way better and of course it takes a lot of weight off at the extreme front and rear too. Congratulations on all you have done thus far. Be patient, have a plan and stick to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Michael

Hello Michael! Thanks for checking in and the kind words. The body already looks better with no bumpers than it did with these ones installed.

Much thanks

Frances and Daniel my dad- he says hi and thanks for the support!
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Jun 24 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Jun 4 2020, 09:19 PM) *

Or at least barter with some advice for this ongoing project.

You'll find you won't need to barter anything for advice with the folks on here.

I don't have a 914 right now and come on just to read the stuff they give freely to, especially, newbie owners.

It's kinda like a haven in a crazy world! (even though it's a crazy 914world. . .see what I did there?)

I just got all caught up on your videos and really like your enthusiasm!! Keep it up!!!
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 24 2020, 06:51 PM
Post #17

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@TINKERGINEERING
date='Jun 6 2020, 04:34 PM'
@RiqueMar

Francis,
You do need to protect the electronics but i would not run the rain tray. I have seen other electric conversions and you need maximum airflow to prevent the motor from over heating.
You may want to use a GT type engine grill which have open mesh on the upper half.
Are you going to have batteries in the engine bay?
Do you know what batteries you are going to use?

Bruce
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jun 24 2020, 07:02 PM
Post #18

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 24 2020, 04:51 PM) *

Francis,
You do need to protect the electronics but i would not run the rain tray. I have seen other electric conversions and you need maximum airflow to prevent the motor from over heating.
You may want to use a GT type engine grill which have open mesh on the upper half.
Are you going to have batteries in the engine bay?
Do you know what batteries you are going to use?

Bruce

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Bruce has got a point, I didn't think of that. You might also consider leaving the tray and install a fan on a switch or thermostat. It could end-up being cheap insurance.

Another note: Talk of fans brought up another question; What about heating? I would assume an electric heater would draw too much power and limit your range. I wonder how converters have tackled this in the past. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 24 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

There was a mint condition silver EV that would come to cars & coffee. He had two 12v hair driers in place of the heater hoses in the trunk. He said they worked great.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 25 2020, 04:40 AM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 25 2020, 12:06 AM) *

There was a mint condition silver EV that would come to cars & coffee. He had two 12v hair driers in place of the heater hoses in the trunk. He said they worked great.

When winter is 55 degrees, no problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:12 AM