Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crown and pinion wear patrern, Didn’t change pinion bearings , shims or paper gaskets
panayotisnikas
post Apr 8 2020, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,021
Region Association: None

Hello everybody , I just finished flipping my 914 gearbox to use in a beetle , I replaced 1st gear dog teeth and synchro ring , diff bearings , input shaft bearing . I set the preload for the diff , backlash is correct . I don’t think the engineering blue
I found is the best in the world because it’s hard to leave Marks on and kind of peels .
I did my best to get a reading .
I didn’t mess with the pinion bearing or it’s shims, neither with the paper gaskets between the case and the intermediate plate . So I wouldn’t expect having altered the pinion depth .

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
panayotisnikas
post Apr 8 2020, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,021
Region Association: None

Also a pic from the other side

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 8 2020, 01:27 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Delete duplicate post
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 8 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I'm not a trans expert . . . Calling Dr_Evil. I've rebuilt a couple over the years and I'm around mechanics that regularly set differentials up from scratch and see the patterns.

@Dr Evil

I'm not sure which side of the pinion is drive side (usually the convex side) vs. cost side (usually the concave side) given that pinion has been flipped for a bug. So my advice is worth what you paid.

I'd start with proper ring and pinion marking compound or marking paint so you can at least get a good read on what the actual pattern is. The layout blue really isn't the right material for the job at hand but is certainly better than nothing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Nice way to make do with what was on hand though.

The 2nd photo actually looks like one tooth has a nice consistent pattern but is maybe a bit deep into the root and needs pinion shim adjustment to move the pinion higher on the ring (crown gear).

In the 1st picture, I can't tell what is pattern vs. flaking but the straighter linear pattern that I think is "the" pattern is still a bit deep. It may be deep from the old gaskets having been squished a bit over the years?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:43 PM