Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 conversion wiring question, does the pms wiring harness has a red wire for pressure sendor?
buck toenges
post Feb 22 2020, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

I am having problems tracing the red wire from the oil pressure sender of a 1988 3.2 engine through my 914 so I can hook up my oil pressure gauge. So far I haven't found the wire through the 914 body harness by using a continuity check. I have a pms wiring conversion harness and by looking at the diagram it looks like the oil pressure wire is a red wire on pin location 4 on the 911 side. Can anybody help me locate the proper wire for the oil pressure gauge? Is it indeed red and does this wire run from the pms harness through to the dme harness and change color?

Thanks,
BuckAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 22 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

IIRC You have to run a wire, all you have on the main harness is the idiot light and on the other side of the engine bay the oil temp wire which only goes to the console. You may be able to use the blower wire T11 part of the way if it's disconected.

Edit sorry thought you meant the 914 main harness, the DME harness should be a simple continuity test. The connector end is numbered but they're tiny. It may not even have the wire.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 22 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

On my six conversion (1974 car) I've run the o/p gauge wire on its own ; usually not found on the plug-in harness.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 22 2020, 12:17 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Is your car early or late?

I had to switch around wires in the connector on my PMS adapter harness (for my 3.6L) because they are wired for late model 914s.

Mine was wrong for the oil pressure as well but it's been way too long to remember what i had to switch around to make it work.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Feb 22 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I wired up an 84 3.2l motor into a 75 914. Harness was from PMS. Here is my "how to" thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7&hl=wiring
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 22 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

914 6 chassis harnesses have an unused green wire from relay board to dash board
I suspect early 4 cyl. cars have it too.
In Porsches oil related wires are green, green/red or green/black.
AFAIK
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Feb 24 2020, 07:05 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,388

I would like some feed back on what I have found so far:

This is using 1971 914 wiring harness

the switch on the driver side on top of the engine by the transmission which I assume is the "idiot" light for oil pressure is number 9 pin on the 911 engine harness plug. There is no corresponding number on the pms harness. I will have to add a wire and run it up to the gauge. Since I am not using the heater blower pin I think I will put that on the pms harness at pin 9 and use this for the idiot light.

the number 4 pin on the 911 harness ends up on the 914 engine harness at t5 which is a green/blk stripe. I have traced this up to the gauge area but can't find an end to test for continuity. Can somebody tell me where the green/blk stripe wire is suppose to end up in the dash?

The number 3 pin on the 911 engine harness ends up on the 914 engine harness on pin number t6 which is a green/red stripe. This is the oil temp sensor that is found next to the oil pressure sensor.

+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 24 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

A '71 does not have wire for oil temp gauge in the chassis harness.

You can "pirate" the heater blower switch wire for whatever you need.

I don't have my wiring diagrams with me, so I don't have the pin ID's.

I don't know if the early 4 cars have the extra solid green wire. It's in the 6 chassis harness that terminates at the 14 pin plug at the engine bay, and goes up to the gauge cluster area, and is not terminated on that end. If they do not, you're going to have to run an extra wire for something.

The sender on the top of the engine is for oil pressure warning light, it's a pressure switch. I call the other two senders (oil press and temp)

You are correct in that the OP warning light wire is green/red, and should be in your chassis harness terminating at the warning light in the gauge cluster.

Do I understand correctly that there's a separate red wire outside of the PMS harness for the OP sender? If so then just run a wire for your OP gauge to that.

The OP sender is typically on the fan end of the engine on the right as you are looking at the fan, connected to the small oil lines.

I've never done a 3.2 engine harness or had one on my bench, and I've never seen the PMS adapter first hand.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 24 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'd pay someone for a step by step tutorial to get a 3.2 wired into an early 914-4.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:23 AM