Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1969 -1973 front bumper measurements dimensions, What are the dimensions of the front bumper
78PanamaBrown
post Feb 21 2020, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,927
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, I'm going to be towing a 1973 Porsche 914 with all 4 wheels on the ground, and would like to remove the front bumper and make a steel bracket (attached to the car using the existing bumper mounting holes), to which I can firmly attach (weld) one of those cheapie Harbor Freight bumper hitches for towing the car. I'd like to make the steel mounting bracket I have in mind, before I go pickup the car, but without the car in front of me, I don't know how far apart (horizontally) the two holes on either side of the car are, or the distance (vertically). Does anyone have these measurements?

Before anybody says "just rent a flatbed", I have towed 914's before with wheels on the ground, just by removing the rear axles, and attaching magnetic mount lights. They actually pull quite well this way, but the generic clamp on bumper hitches tend to destroy the front bumpers, and the car I'm getting has a perfect one, that I want to keep in tact.

Thanks for you help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
9146C
post Feb 21 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,460
Region Association: None

There's not a lot of "meat" around the earlier front bumper attachment points.

Have you considered a flat tow bar arrangement?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2396178
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 21 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(9146C @ Feb 21 2020, 09:36 AM) *

There's not a lot of "meat" around the earlier front bumper attachment points.

Have you considered a flat tow bar arrangement?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2396178

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Just remove the lower valence and leave the bumper on, do this . I think a lot of guys here have done this and I will be doing the same soon as well, will save on trailer rental costs
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 21 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

The chassis is not all that beefy in that area and the bumper is mostly cosmetic.

The flat tow bar that attaches to the front susp mounting points is the way to go.
+Quote Post
78PanamaBrown
post Feb 21 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 23,927

That’s a good idea hooking up the tow bar to the front suspension mounting points. That prefabed bar that 9146c referenced is cheaper for sure than renting a flatbed trailer for a few days, but I need one faster than I could order and receive it, and I can make one in a few hours. Just need dimensions on either the front bumper mounting locations or the front suspension mounting locations, if anyone has them....
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 21 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I agree with everyone else, plus if your capable of fabricating you own go for the front suspension points.
Below is some examples in this thread.

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=234703
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 21 2020, 04:22 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

just buy Rich's tow bar, perfect fit just for a 914, and a very high quality piece

QUOTE(78PanamaBrown @ Feb 21 2020, 07:20 AM) *

Hello, I'm going to be towing a 1973 Porsche 914 with all 4 wheels on the ground, and would like to remove the front bumper and make a steel bracket (attached to the car using the existing bumper mounting holes), to which I can firmly attach (weld) one of those cheapie Harbor Freight bumper hitches for towing the car. I'd like to make the steel mounting bracket I have in mind, before I go pickup the car, but without the car in front of me, I don't know how far apart (horizontally) the two holes on either side of the car are, or the distance (vertically). Does anyone have these measurements?

Before anybody says "just rent a flatbed", I have towed 914's before with wheels on the ground, just by removing the rear axles, and attaching magnetic mount lights. They actually pull quite well this way, but the generic clamp on bumper hitches tend to destroy the front bumpers, and the car I'm getting has a perfect one, that I want to keep in tact.

Thanks for you help.

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 22 2020, 05:40 PM
Post #8

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

There is more than one option.
Got em also here
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:03 PM